Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I play; I pay!

Did you ever ponder that when something changes, most things still stay the same? It's because where ever you go, you can't get away from yourself. Ponder that.
So, if you don't change yourself, what changes will you ever have? What's my point? How the hell should I know? I'm just thinking in print.
Actually, I do have a point here. Last week Joan took me to the YMCA to go into the therapy pool for a bit of stretching and water exercise. My first time to go post- op. The steps into the pool are short, not steep, and there are good handrails. I got into the pool so well! The post-op hip protocols state to go down steps with the operative leg, and go up steps using the non-operative leg, which in my case is my weak left leg. So when it came time to get out of the pool I did well until the final step. Without water support, I could not get up that last step using my left leg even with Joan's help and use of the handrail. So, I began to laugh! It seemed an opportune time for one of those sisterly giggle fests where we both end up on the floor laughing. Joan was NOT amused! She said, quite sternly, "STOP LAUGHING OR WE WILL NEVER GET OUT OF HERE!.
So I quickly slapped meself upside the head and stopped laughing, and told her ok, i would use my right leg to step up. Wrong decision! I did make it out of the pool then, but heard/felt a crunch in the hip. Uh oh! I could still walk on the leg, but must've strained soft tissue around the joint because I then enjoyed more pain for 2 days afterwards.
Over the weekend, we went to Kristy's house to use her pool. I was able to easily jump into the pool, and got out easily at the steep steps with Mike and Kris' help.
But I made the fatal mistake of lying on one of the poolside lounges which are very low to the ground. So when I went to stand up off of it, I strained the hip again with using much effort to lift my big butt upright.
What's the point you might ask? It's clear as mud! I have a new hip, but still have old polio, so unless I quit acting like I've become the Six Million Dollar woman, I will still pay with pain if I do certain movements that these old muscles have to strain to do. Us old farts learn slowly, but we can still learn if we try hard.
So, the discomfort continues, and will go away if I stop bringing it on I trust. I can walk more without the walker now, and have used a cane for a few short trips out and about. Progress is being made. Perseverance! That's the name of this game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you are perservering... James 1:12 says: Blessed is the man (or woman) who perseveres under trial..
and that sounded like a big trial huh?
Keep it up girlfriend.. you are doing great.