Friday, July 27, 2007

another month off

Mike took me to see the ortho surgeon today; xrays were taken and the hip is in place and looks good on xray. It's made of titanium and the ball is cobalt chrome or chrome cobalt... (whatz the difference?) 2 large screws hold the cup in place and can be seen protruding from the socket area. very strange to see it on the xray light. Dr gave me another month off til Sept first. He said a lot of the pain I still feel will go away after awhile. He is sending me to Phys therapy for a few how-to-do-it-right lessons because when I demonstrated to him how I need to try to bend down to put my compression socks on, he said "YOU CAN'T DO THAT!" I told him I need to wear the socks to work or else my left leg will swell up (due to post-clot venous insufficiency) , and he asked who said so, and I told him all my primary care drs since 1999 ... thus the PT referral. Maybe I should try for permanent social security disability again... reason: "she can't put her socks on anymore." hahaha. That's a good one. I'm sure there have been sillier reasons given.
Anyway, another month to recover and hopefully heal up the residual areas in the hip. Dr said he just replaced hip of another polio patient. Makes me wonder why the Polio Clinic at Rancho Los Amigos rehab hospital tells us old polios to not have replacement surgery. It's not like we expect to sell our wheelchairs on Ebay and run marathons after surgery. But a better quality of life with less pain scooting around in Lucy will suit me just fine.
That's the update for now. See ya!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's good! I'm glad you have another month off. In fact, I think you should retire permenantly and travel and crochet blankets.

Sasquatch said...

You mean Dad is not puttin your socks on for you? What the hell??? LOL Hang in there mom! Another month to study your Bible!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking that a month off might be nice, but not if I was in pain and wonder of what's going to happen. I pray a special annointing
of the Holy Spirit durring this next month for sight of something new. Something of brand new interest or insight maybe, God only knows. I'm glad He's the only one that does know, or I'm not sure anyone would want to be around me. They would definetely not listen about Jesus from me.
Our God is an ausome God. What a crazy short time here.

Anonymous said...

Another month to loll around eating chocolate bon-bons... ah-h-h-h, what a life!!
Glad to hear it; by Sept. you'll be rarin' to go back to work... compression sox & all. Keep up those exercises & come see us as soon as U feel reeeel good!!