Saturday, November 01, 2008

Sisters n Friends

A salute to Mikey!!

I took this video at the end of French King bridge over the Connecticut River in Mass. It shows our 2 nurse friends and my twin. We get goofy a lot when we are together. Laughing releases endorphins, gives that feel-great feeling even when the old body is going to hell in a handbasket and playing tricks on the nervous system... giving the sensory nerves all kinds of signals to cause painful sensations; giving the motor neurons time off to cause weakness and fatigue in various body parts. Laughing is good for the body and soul, and that's what happened on our NE vac. We laughed a lot. The post-polio symptoms kicked in for me on occasion but being able to get horizontal and rest, and take the pain med when I needed to at night gave relief. My nurse friend with MS is not so lucky to knock out her symptoms as readily. Unfortunatley, she is in a hosptial again to receive IV meds, let her body recover in its own slow time so that she can walk again and go home. It may mean rehab time again. But, in her cannot-turn-it-off RN way, she ends up encouraging other patients, TEACHING REHAB STAFF HOW TO HELP THEIR PATIENTS BETTER, and being an example to her family and friends to never give up. She always comes out of the hosptial or rehab with funny stories to tell, teaching moments to relate, and tales of fellow patients she helped encourage. In spite of lingering symptoms, she will overcome and endure! She knows that JESUS is especially fond of her (reference The Shack... a wonderful book) and that Good News (the Gospel of Christ) gives health to the bones. Poverbs 15:30.
I guess the ol Emerald blood gives a sense of the ridiculous in life and the ability to make a joke out of it... which we did every day... a handicapped motel room with no curb cut for entry, a referral to a wonderful breakfast place which turned out to have 2 dozen stairs straight up to the entrance door and no elevator... The Californios inability to understand and respond intelligently to a nice Boston "eye-'ow-R-ya?". Lots to laugh about inspite of life's challenges. it was a great 2 weeks with our sister-friends.
We are with you, Mikey, in love and prayers for a speedy recovery.

3 comments:

Sasquatch said...

I really am SOOO happy that you made the trip Mom. I LOVED the videos you posted and it makes me smile to see the 4 of you having a great time together and I can see the joy and energy it brings to all of you. I am praying for Mikey and also for you as you go through her experiences with her. I know it must be hard to be far away form her and not be there to help each other in this stage of life. I pray that God keeps you close in heart and may the joyful memories override any pain and sadness that may occur. That is also the Irish way right? Love you!

Anonymous said...

test

Anonymous said...

I finally went all thru your Vac Pics. I look foward to goin on Vac with my ol lady friends just like you. Though I wonder... will I take pics of fake people and toilets and all of our food? So glad you had a great trip. love yu Mom!